2013/ 2014 in the UK and EU - what next?

    Share
    avatar
    patpending

    Number of posts : 3005
    Points : 3948
    Reputation : 53
    Registration date : 2009-02-05
    Location : Surrey

    2013/ 2014 in the UK and EU - what next?

    Post by patpending on Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:35 am

    The MG3 launches very soon in the UK.  There is not a massive number of dealers - 29? - though we have most recently been promised more - six? - by Christmas, which will still be nowhere near enough.

    So what else can we expect in the next 18 months?

    More dealers - good bet.

    Facelift MG6 - good bet.

    Turbo MG3?

    Diesel MG3?

    Auto MG6/ MG3?

    MG5 hatch facelift? Longer bet.

    MG CS - I would be surprised to see this before 2015.

    EU expansion:

    1) RHD countries Ireland, Cyprus, Malta - 2014? when at least one model revealed (MG6 Facelift?)

    2) Benelux/ Scandinavia - 2014? with diesel MG3?

    3) Eastern Europe - not until 2015? with MG5 Magnette? Model not in a key segment here... import it from China?

    4) Germany/France/Italy - 2015 or later? - with CS? sportscar?

    What about the diesel engine mountain?

    What do YOU think?

    Morris Motors

    Number of posts : 446
    Points : 538
    Reputation : 22
    Registration date : 2012-08-10

    Re: 2013/ 2014 in the UK and EU - what next?

    Post by Morris Motors on Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:55 am

    I would imagine the MG6 will get it's facelift before it goes to Europe, with the diesel. Maybe an auto.

    I don't think we'll see the turbo or diesel MG3 or a new engine in the MG6 for a while, not before the CS.

    What I would STRONGLY PLEAD FOR is a sportscar. BMW are poised to launch a 2-seat, drop top Mini, loaded with 'British'/retro styling cues. This is firmly MGs territory and they can't stand back and let that go. It's all well and good trying to 'redefine' the brand and offer a full range, but it's at the expense of what they are famous for and at the expense of a really visible sector of the market.

    I don't want to keep seeing piddlingly low sales numbers and Guy Jones wittering on about a broad base and future plans when at the same time MGs USP is stolen from under their noses by BMW!
    avatar
    Windy
    Admin

    Number of posts : 3322
    Points : 4244
    Reputation : 165
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

    Re: 2013/ 2014 in the UK and EU - what next?

    Post by Windy on Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:19 am

    patpending wrote:MG CS - I would be surprised to see this before 2015.
    I'm expecting to see it at the Guangzhou show this year, if it arrives in UK a year later then that is still before 2015. I suspect they will try to get it here sooner though as it will make it a lot easier to get dealers on board.

    Morris Motors wrote:I don't think we'll see the turbo or diesel MG3 or a new engine in the MG6 for a while, not before the CS.
    I'm not sure that a diesel MG3 actually makes sense if a direct injection petrol is available; that should be the priority.

    The 1.5 turbo engine will be available in China this year, and not just in SAIC cars, apparently the Huatai A25 SUV will be using it. I expect it to be made available in the UK, if only for marketing purposes. To gain sales probably a smaller engine is required but I'm not convinced that the SGE will arrive on sale in the UK before 2015.

    The 2L turbo NLE will be available for them to fit in the MG6, it may not sell in large numbers but would give the MG6 some real performance!



    Hot summer, Dalian auto show staged reality version of Fast and Furious, the excellent results achieved in the game reproduces the MG6 BTCC championship glory. As an integral part of the essence of one of the MG brand, racing sport and passion is undoubtedly the best elements to attract young people.

    MG6 BTCC appearance curves simple, intuitive and neat finishing, also has impressive body before and after ratio value, so that the whole car look compact and full of explosive, revealing cathartic championship atmosphere.


    Morris Motors

    Number of posts : 446
    Points : 538
    Reputation : 22
    Registration date : 2012-08-10

    Re: 2013/ 2014 in the UK and EU - what next?

    Post by Morris Motors on Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:41 am

    It's still the plan for the CS to launch in all markets at the same time isn't it? I certainly hope so.. designing a car in the UK, tuning it to Chinese tastes (i.e. putting crap plastics in and soft suspension) then retuning it back to 'how it should be' is a crazy way to carry on. We could have had the MG3 two years ago if they'd been sensible from the outset.

    snifferdog1

    Number of posts : 240
    Points : 309
    Reputation : 11
    Registration date : 2012-12-05
    Age : 36
    Location : Hinckley,Leicestershire.

    Re: 2013/ 2014 in the UK and EU - what next?

    Post by snifferdog1 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:21 am

    Morris Motors wrote:It's still the plan for the CS to launch in all markets at the same time isn't it? I certainly hope so.. designing a car in the UK, tuning it to Chinese tastes (i.e. putting crap plastics in and soft suspension) then retuning it back to 'how it should be' is a crazy way to carry on. We could have had the MG3 two years ago if they'd been sensible from the outset.
    I heard somewhere that SAIC had deliberately took their time in bringing the 3 to Europe so that they could learn lessons from the launch of the 6 and also to find the right suppliers of European quality parts.

    Im sticking with that anyway. Sounds good.
    avatar
    patpending

    Number of posts : 3005
    Points : 3948
    Reputation : 53
    Registration date : 2009-02-05
    Location : Surrey

    Re: 2013/ 2014 in the UK and EU - what next?

    Post by patpending on Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:27 am

    patpending wrote:The MG3 launches very soon in the UK.  There is not a massive number of dealers - 29? - though we have most recently been promised more - six? - by Christmas, which will still be nowhere near enough.

    So what else can we expect in the next 18 months?

    More dealers - good bet.

    Facelift MG6 - good bet.

    Turbo MG3?

    Diesel MG3?

    Auto MG6/ MG3?

    MG5 hatch facelift? Longer bet.

    MG CS - I would be surprised to see this before 2015.

    EU expansion:

    1) RHD countries Ireland, Cyprus, Malta - 2014? when at least one model revealed (MG6 Facelift?)

    2) Benelux/ Scandinavia - 2014? with diesel MG3?

    3) Eastern Europe - not until 2015? with MG5 Magnette? Model not in a key segment here... import it from China?

    4) Germany/France/Italy - 2015 or later? - with CS? sportscar?

    What about the diesel engine mountain?

    What do YOU think?
    from Jan 2014 perspective:

    More dealers - 35 more to reach 70 (or was it 40 more to reach 75?).

    Facelift MG6?

    Turbo MG3??

    Diesel MG3????

    Auto MG6/ MG3????

    MG5 hatch facelift? Seems unlikely.

    MG CS - I would be surprised to see this before 2015.

    EU expansion:

    1) RHD countries Ireland, Cyprus, Malta - 2014? when at least one model revealed (MG6 Facelift?) - yes

    2) Benelux/ Scandinavia - 2014? with diesel MG3? Not 2014?

    3) Eastern Europe - not until 2015? with MG5 Magnette? Model not in a key segment here... import it from China? Later.

    4) Germany/France/Italy - 2015 or later? - with CS? sportscar?

    What about the diesel engine mountain????

    snifferdog1

    Number of posts : 240
    Points : 309
    Reputation : 11
    Registration date : 2012-12-05
    Age : 36
    Location : Hinckley,Leicestershire.

    Re: 2013/ 2014 in the UK and EU - what next?

    Post by snifferdog1 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:57 am

    Its MGs 90th birthday this year too so Im expecting some sort of special edition - hopefully more than just a sticker pack.
    avatar
    mg-zs

    Number of posts : 166
    Points : 172
    Reputation : 10
    Registration date : 2009-02-06
    Location : Maastricht.The Netherlands

    Re: 2013/ 2014 in the UK and EU - what next?

    Post by mg-zs on Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:19 am

    May have a talk in May with MG when they think they wane sell cars in Holland Smile
    avatar
    patpending

    Number of posts : 3005
    Points : 3948
    Reputation : 53
    Registration date : 2009-02-05
    Location : Surrey

    Re: 2013/ 2014 in the UK and EU - what next?

    Post by patpending on Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:06 am

    mg-zs wrote:May have a talk in May with MG when they think they wane sell cars in Holland Smile
    Yes, I thought Ireland was happening now, but that was "Aidy buys one off Dave" ;)So "This year" for Holland? The crocuses are out!
    avatar
    patpending

    Number of posts : 3005
    Points : 3948
    Reputation : 53
    Registration date : 2009-02-05
    Location : Surrey

    Re: 2013/ 2014 in the UK and EU - what next?

    Post by patpending on Mon May 19, 2014 10:24 am

    Mid-Life Topic Review - what IS going to happen in 2014?

    More dealers - some appointed, few formally announced, some due to start up (e.g. Barnes, Maidstone, Wareham, Bicester, Exeter, Falmouth and Bridport aftersales only) - still around 35 to come in 7 months which is 5 a month!

    Facelift MG6?

    Turbo MG3? No?

    Diesel MG3? No?

    Auto MG6/ MG3? No?

    MG5 hatch facelift? No?

    MG CS - China launch later in 2014, UK not simultaneously but 2015?

    EU expansion: 2015 (Doug Wallace). If the kits become sourced from Thailand how will LHD kits be sourced?

    What about the diesel engine mountain??? what about MG90? what about a sportscar?

    Sponsored content

    Re: 2013/ 2014 in the UK and EU - what next?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:27 pm