MG6 To Go On Sale In UK

    Share
    avatar
    docjunior2008

    Number of posts : 142
    Points : 177
    Reputation : 10
    Registration date : 2009-04-05
    Age : 26
    Location : Teesside, United Kingdom

    MG6 To Go On Sale In UK

    Post by docjunior2008 on Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:33 am


    from http://autocar.co.uk/News/NewsGallery.aspx?AR=239604&EL=-1&IM=233327
    The MG6 hatchback revealed at next week’s Shanghai show will be the first all-new MG model to go on sale in the UK since the 2001 MG ZS and ZT, according to sources at Chinese car maker SAIC, which owns the MG Roewe and Ssangyong brands.
    Both the hatchback MG6 and its saloon sister car (which is currently being sold in China under the Roewe 550 badge) will be launched in the UK and Ireland, according to Eleanor de la Haye of the MG Motor Company.
    Both versions will use the MG badge say sources, and the most popular engine is expected to be the N-series 1.8-litre turbocharged engine, an updated version of Rover’s K-series engine.
    The cars are expected in the showrooms by early 2010 when the UK’s ailing economy should have at least bottomed out.
    Prototype versions of the medium-size car are currently being put through final homologation tests in Germany, in order to allow them to go on sale in Europe. In fact, an undisguised Roewe 550 saloon was snapped in Germany earlier this year.
    Stringent EU crash test standards have proved to be the downfall of previous Chinese-made cars, but the MG6 is actually based on a re-engineered version of the robust Rover 75 platform.
    It was only the lack of standard-fit headbags that prevent the 75 from becoming the first car to be awarded five stars in the NCAP crash tests.
    The SAIC Motor UK Technical Centre has carried out most of the engineering and styling work on the car. SMTC UK has recently moved from its base in Leamington to the Longbridge factory site. However, the chances of the new MGs being built at Longbridge is said to be diminishing.
    Industry reports from China say that SAIC is also planning a new small car range – including a small saloon and crossover - based on an all-new platform.
    Around 200,000 of the cars will be built annually at a new plant in Nanjing, and are likely to be badged Roewe 350 in China and MG5 elsewhere, though there is no indication whether the models will make it to Europe.
    Reports in the UK suggest that an updated version of the MG TF is also likely this year, recognising the 85th anniversary of the MG brand. Sales of the Longbridge-assembled TF roadster have been extremely limited since it was re-launched last year.
    Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
    avatar
    Windy
    Admin

    Number of posts : 3322
    Points : 4244
    Reputation : 165
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

    Re: MG6 To Go On Sale In UK

    Post by Windy on Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:01 am

    Thanks Doc, you have a rep point Thumbs Up
    avatar
    docjunior2008

    Number of posts : 142
    Points : 177
    Reputation : 10
    Registration date : 2009-04-05
    Age : 26
    Location : Teesside, United Kingdom

    Re: MG6 To Go On Sale In UK

    Post by docjunior2008 on Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:28 am

    Thanks....what is a rep point?
    What do you think of the news then?
    Doc
    avatar
    patpending

    Number of posts : 3005
    Points : 3948
    Reputation : 53
    Registration date : 2009-02-05
    Location : Surrey

    Re: MG6 To Go On Sale In UK

    Post by patpending on Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:55 am

    docjunior2008 wrote:Thanks....what is a rep point?
    What do you think of the news then?
    Doc
    see where it says "reputation"? Well you've got two now. Wink

    Is a Headbag made of brown paper? Don't think you'd need one if you drove an MG6 TBH...

    I'm always suspicious of chances journalists count as "diminishing" when we've heard nothing. (e.g. chances of Longbridge-built MG6). It means a rumour goes round and round, gathering strength as it goes (Virgil) but the facts don't change... Laughing
    avatar
    Windy
    Admin

    Number of posts : 3322
    Points : 4244
    Reputation : 165
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

    Re: MG6 To Go On Sale In UK

    Post by Windy on Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:18 am

    patpending wrote:Don't think you'd need one if you drove an MG6 TBH...
    You might need a cheque book though, as "MG6 TBH" must be an ilegal number plate confused

    I see both Doc's rep points are for the same post - tooltip on the green bar says "2" Wink

    mattie00
    Guest

    Re: MG6 To Go On Sale In UK

    Post by mattie00 on Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:40 am

    Good to see the saloon will be sold here as an MG, thats what I would go for!
    avatar
    Windy
    Admin

    Number of posts : 3322
    Points : 4244
    Reputation : 165
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

    Re: MG6 To Go On Sale In UK

    Post by Windy on Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:51 am

    mattie00 wrote:Good to see the saloon will be sold here as an MG, thats what I would go for!
    Wonder if it will be sold as an MG6 saloon, or an MG 550 as it is in Chile?

    I take it there is a 7 missing from your user name Mattie00?

    Sorry, Guests cannot have rep points!
    avatar
    patpending

    Number of posts : 3005
    Points : 3948
    Reputation : 53
    Registration date : 2009-02-05
    Location : Surrey

    Re: MG6 To Go On Sale In UK

    Post by patpending on Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:00 pm

    Windy wrote:
    patpending wrote:Don't think you'd need one if you drove an MG6 TBH...
    You might need a cheque book though, as "MG6 TBH" must be an ilegal number plate confused
    MG61 TBH - what year would that be available? 2011?

    I see both Doc's rep points are for the same post - tooltip on the green bar says "2" Wink
    so it does! Ta!

    I can't help feeling rep could cause a few headaches for mods... Wink
    avatar
    skyblueads

    Number of posts : 96
    Points : 105
    Reputation : 9
    Registration date : 2009-02-10
    Location : Exeter, Devon

    Re: MG6 To Go On Sale In UK

    Post by skyblueads on Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:46 pm

    Windy wrote:
    mattie00 wrote:Good to see the saloon will be sold here as an MG, thats what I would go for!
    Wonder if it will be sold as an MG6 saloon, or an MG 550 as it is in Chile?

    I thought they were going to re-use the Zed names for the UK and EU? I must admit I am a little concerned by the suggestion that UK production is looking 'increasingly unlikely'
    avatar
    Windy
    Admin

    Number of posts : 3322
    Points : 4244
    Reputation : 165
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

    Re: MG6 To Go On Sale In UK

    Post by Windy on Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:01 pm

    patpending wrote:I can't help feeling rep could cause a few headaches for mods... Wink
    Mods have no control over reputation, it's given annonymously, only ever + or - 1 point and unlike certain other forums canot contain a nasty message! ... No reason for any headaches Smile
    avatar
    patpending

    Number of posts : 3005
    Points : 3948
    Reputation : 53
    Registration date : 2009-02-05
    Location : Surrey

    Re: MG6 To Go On Sale In UK

    Post by patpending on Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:31 pm

    Windy wrote:
    patpending wrote:I can't help feeling rep could cause a few headaches for mods... Wink
    Mods have no control over reputation, it's given annonymously, only ever + or - 1 point and unlike certain other forums canot contain a nasty message! ... No reason for any headaches Smile
    good. I'm off to bed. Live pictures from Shanghai tomorrow morning!
    avatar
    docjunior2008

    Number of posts : 142
    Points : 177
    Reputation : 10
    Registration date : 2009-04-05
    Age : 26
    Location : Teesside, United Kingdom

    Re: MG6 To Go On Sale In UK

    Post by docjunior2008 on Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:44 pm

    patpending wrote:
    Windy wrote:
    patpending wrote:I can't help feeling rep could cause a few headaches for mods... Wink
    Mods have no control over reputation, it's given annonymously, only ever + or - 1 point and unlike certain other forums canot contain a nasty message! ... No reason for any headaches Smile
    good. I'm off to bed. Live pictures from Shanghai tomorrow morning!
    Do you mean Sunday or Monday?
    Doc
    avatar
    patpending

    Number of posts : 3005
    Points : 3948
    Reputation : 53
    Registration date : 2009-02-05
    Location : Surrey

    Re: MG6 To Go On Sale In UK

    Post by patpending on Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:00 pm

    docjunior2008 wrote:
    patpending wrote:good. I'm off to bed. Live pictures from Shanghai tomorrow morning!
    Do you mean Sunday or Monday?
    Doc
    Tomorrow morning now for the car show... (though the actual photos may be later)...this morning there were live pictures of the rain from Shanghai! Wink (Grand Prix)
    avatar
    docjunior2008

    Number of posts : 142
    Points : 177
    Reputation : 10
    Registration date : 2009-04-05
    Age : 26
    Location : Teesside, United Kingdom

    Re: MG6 To Go On Sale In UK

    Post by docjunior2008 on Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:06 pm

    patpending wrote:
    docjunior2008 wrote:
    patpending wrote:good. I'm off to bed. Live pictures from Shanghai tomorrow morning!
    Do you mean Sunday or Monday?
    Doc
    Tomorrow morning now for the car show... (though the actual photos may be later)...this morning there were live pictures of the rain from Shanghai! Wink (Grand Prix)
    Sorry, I got mislead Smile
    Doc
    avatar
    Windy
    Admin

    Number of posts : 3322
    Points : 4244
    Reputation : 165
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

    Re: MG6 To Go On Sale In UK

    Post by Windy on Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:55 pm

    patpending wrote:this morning there were live pictures of the rain from Shanghai! Wink (Grand Prix)
    Looked like they know how to do things properly in Shanghai, we haven't had a GP as wet as that since Silverstone Fish
    avatar
    patpending

    Number of posts : 3005
    Points : 3948
    Reputation : 53
    Registration date : 2009-02-05
    Location : Surrey

    Re: MG6 To Go On Sale In UK

    Post by patpending on Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:38 am

    Windy wrote:
    patpending wrote:this morning there were live pictures of the rain from Shanghai! Wink (Grand Prix)
    Looked like they know how to do things properly in Shanghai, we haven't had a GP as wet as that since Silverstone Fish
    true, not in Britain.

    That year the GP was early (like this Chinese one). Now the GP is moving to Donington anyway...and, as we all know, it hardly ever rains there... Wink Fish
    avatar
    richardk

    Number of posts : 935
    Points : 1149
    Reputation : 46
    Registration date : 2009-02-06
    Location : Norfolk

    Re: MG6 To Go On Sale In UK

    Post by richardk on Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:45 am

    docjunior2008 wrote:



    However, the chances of the new MGs being built at Longbridge is said to be diminishing.




    That's a worrying media statement!
    avatar
    patpending

    Number of posts : 3005
    Points : 3948
    Reputation : 53
    Registration date : 2009-02-05
    Location : Surrey

    Re: MG6 To Go On Sale In UK

    Post by patpending on Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:59 am

    richardk wrote:
    docjunior2008 wrote:



    However, the chances of the new MGs being built at Longbridge is said to be diminishing.




    That's a worrying media statement!
    I don't know who said it and why, but every time the same sentence is repeated, it sort of reinforces itself! Doh

    So we'll be OK so long as I don't quote it... Doh
    avatar
    Windy
    Admin

    Number of posts : 3322
    Points : 4244
    Reputation : 165
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

    Re: MG6 To Go On Sale In UK

    Post by Windy on Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:17 am

    patpending wrote:So we'll be OK so long as I don't quote it... Doh
    Let's just wait for an interview with the big boss... Smile

    Edit: Although being Chinese he is not physically very big!
    avatar
    skyblueads

    Number of posts : 96
    Points : 105
    Reputation : 9
    Registration date : 2009-02-10
    Location : Exeter, Devon

    Re: MG6 To Go On Sale In UK

    Post by skyblueads on Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:26 am

    What does your gut instinct tell you, Windy? I'd love to know where this suggestion has come from. When are we likely to hear an announcement regarding UK production?
    avatar
    Windy
    Admin

    Number of posts : 3322
    Points : 4244
    Reputation : 165
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

    Re: MG6 To Go On Sale In UK

    Post by Windy on Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:11 am

    skyblueads wrote:What does your gut instinct tell you, Windy? I'd love to know where this suggestion has come from. When are we likely to hear an announcement regarding UK production?
    When SAIC goes global they will use Longbridge, I'm not too sure when they will seriously go global though. I prefer to believe what MG Motor UK suggest = next year, but the economic situation is currently uncertain.
    avatar
    skyblueads

    Number of posts : 96
    Points : 105
    Reputation : 9
    Registration date : 2009-02-10
    Location : Exeter, Devon

    Re: MG6 To Go On Sale In UK

    Post by skyblueads on Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:16 am

    I guess if it weren't for the current bleak economic situation we wouldn't even be discussing this point.
    avatar
    Windy
    Admin

    Number of posts : 3322
    Points : 4244
    Reputation : 165
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

    Re: MG6 To Go On Sale In UK

    Post by Windy on Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:19 am

    skyblueads wrote:I guess if it weren't for the current bleak economic situation we wouldn't even be discussing this point.
    Not sure it is "bleak" any more though, isn't it just a question of when the upturn begins (or began)?
    avatar
    patpending

    Number of posts : 3005
    Points : 3948
    Reputation : 53
    Registration date : 2009-02-05
    Location : Surrey

    Re: MG6 To Go On Sale In UK

    Post by patpending on Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:37 am

    Windy wrote:
    patpending wrote:So we'll be OK so long as I don't quote it... Doh
    Let's just wait for an interview with the big boss... Smile

    Edit: Although being Chinese he is not physically very big!
    Am I right to say "Hu"? Wink

    (I need a refresher on the management structure at SAIC and MG...)
    avatar
    streetrover

    Number of posts : 24
    Points : 22
    Reputation : 1
    Registration date : 2009-02-10

    Re: MG6 To Go On Sale In UK

    Post by streetrover on Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:09 pm

    Who is the Chinese president?
    Industry reports from China say that SAIC is also planning a new small car range – including a small saloon and crossover - based on an all-new platform.
    Would the crossover look something like this? Arrow
    avatar
    Windy
    Admin

    Number of posts : 3322
    Points : 4244
    Reputation : 165
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

    Re: MG6 To Go On Sale In UK

    Post by Windy on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:13 pm

    streetrover wrote:Who is the Chinese president?
    You spelt Hu wrong Evil or Very Mad
    streetrover wrote:
    Would the crossover look something like this? Arrow
    Could do, it shares a platform with the N1.
    avatar
    streetrover

    Number of posts : 24
    Points : 22
    Reputation : 1
    Registration date : 2009-02-10

    Re: MG6 To Go On Sale In UK

    Post by streetrover on Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:37 pm

    Windy wrote:
    streetrover wrote:Who is the Chinese president?
    You spelt Hu wrong Evil or Very Mad
    I didn't spell 'Hu', I spelt 'who'.
    Woosh I hadn't asked now. Razz
    avatar
    patpending

    Number of posts : 3005
    Points : 3948
    Reputation : 53
    Registration date : 2009-02-05
    Location : Surrey

    Re: MG6 To Go On Sale In UK

    Post by patpending on Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:50 am

    streetrover wrote:
    Windy wrote:
    streetrover wrote:Who is the Chinese president?
    You spelt Hu wrong Evil or Very Mad
    I didn't spell 'Hu', I spelt 'who'.
    Woosh I hadn't asked now. Razz

    Hu's on first?

    (give this time to load) Wink

    JohnSwitzer

    Number of posts : 3
    Points : 5
    Reputation : 0
    Registration date : 2009-04-26

    Re: MG6 To Go On Sale In UK

    Post by JohnSwitzer on Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:35 pm

    Windy wrote:
    skyblueads wrote:I guess if it weren't for the current bleak economic situation we wouldn't even be discussing this point.
    Not sure it is "bleak" any more though, isn't it just a question of when the upturn begins (or began)?

    Yup, and I also think there may be an element of political posturing as well. Every car manufacturer does it, threatening to pull production unless and until they receive a government handout.

    Regards

    John
    avatar
    BurnleyRover

    Number of posts : 8
    Points : 9
    Reputation : 1
    Registration date : 2009-04-14
    Age : 52
    Location : Padiham, Lancashire

    Re: MG6 To Go On Sale In UK

    Post by BurnleyRover on Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:15 am

    This report seems to be from around Spring 2007 and at 2:30 ish says that Longbridge will produce the MG3, MG4 and MG5 Chinese Report
    Not sure how accurate it is today...

    Sponsored content

    Re: MG6 To Go On Sale In UK

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:28 pm