Electric/hybrid duel fuel cars.

adaveabbott

Number of posts : 190
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

Electric/hybrid duel fuel cars.

Post by adaveabbott on Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:16 am

Windy, do you have any idea, when or if, any electic, or hybrid cars, are in the frame to be produced or assembled

here in the UK?  I am sure many people would be interested, if it features in the parent companies plans.
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

Re: Electric/hybrid duel fuel cars.

Post by patpending on Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:57 am

adaveabbott wrote:Windy, do you have any idea, when or if, any electic, or hybrid cars, are in the frame to be produced or assembled

here in the UK?  I am sure many people would be interested, if it features in the parent companies plans.

You specifically ask about UK assembly.

While waiting for the W-man to reply, here are topics about the 750 hybrid (11/2011) (a model we don't have):

http://www.mguk.org/t623-roewe-750-hybrid-it-s-cheaper-than-a-normal-750?highlight=hybrid

the 550 hybrid (largely interchangeable possibilities with the MG6) (10/2013):

http://www.mguk.org/t1084-roewe-550-hybrid-for-guangzhou-auto-show?highlight=hybrid

E50 electric car H1 2012 (sales dependent on subsidy/numberplate allocation) (a model we don't have but could be a great town car):

http://www.mguk.org/t672-roewe-e50

and 9/2013:

http://www.mguk.org/t1046-roewe-e50-the-subsidies-are-back-sold-out-until-end-of-year

- In terms of public plans for the UK market, all I can think of is a) dealer increase b) maintenance chain deal c) 4-phase EU rollout where Phase 1 has not yet begun d) CS eventually. In terms of new power, no diesel for MG3. Can't recall "hybrids in UK".

adaveabbott

Number of posts : 190
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

Reply to Pat Pending.

Post by adaveabbott on Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:02 pm

Hi, Pat, thank you for the info, but i was aware of most of that. All i was trying to do is

( A ) Let the public know how ambitious they are about, the UK and Europe.

( B ) Create more interest for the British public, and let the likes of Toyota, BMW and Honda know

that they also have the technology to compete in the Electric/ hybrid car market.

It may be a long time arriving, but at least we will know it is on its way.
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by Windy on Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:27 am

adaveabbott wrote:Windy, do you have any idea, when or if, any electic, or hybrid cars, are in the frame to be produced or assembled

I'm sure they will be at some point, but I think it is quite a few years away yet.

I think the best chance of getting a hybrid in the UK is some type of Maxus, via Eco Concept, but that is still very quiet, even though we are expecting something to happen this year, although not necessarily hybrid connected.

The cars don't make much sense unless you sell in volume, at the moment the MG6 is not selling enough in the UK in normal form to expect a hybrid version.

Even if the MG3 does sell well, there has been no mention of a hybrid version even in China so far, the MG5 is the smallest they have mentioned and the smallest available is the R550 which does have a decent plug in hybrid system.

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if they could compete with the Toyota Prius and Honda Insight.  SAIC's technology is at least adequate to do so, they probably have some cost advantage, and Toyota and Honda do appear to make a decent profit from their hybrids.   The problem is that they do cost significantly more than a normal car, especially if you don't have Chinese government subsidies and I suspect most people buy a Prius for the Prius badge, and an MG6 hybrid may not sell in the same way!

One thing that is certain is that they are investing a lot of money in hybrid and electric technology and developing the production facilities, eg their battery production joint venture.  They intend to take a significant part of the Chinese hybrid market as it develops and that will put them in a good position to expand to the UK. It is just a mater of time, but the timescale depends on government regulation and subsidies.  That seems to be going slowly at present but it wont take much to get it to take off.

We will have to wait and see...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:29 pm