MG6 To be produced in the UK

dentricrio

Number of posts : 19
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

MG6 To be produced in the UK

Post by dentricrio on Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:11 am

Its official, the news we have been wanting to hear for months, they have said they are 'planing' to produce the MG6 in the UK. Finally some good news for Longbridge and from the horses mouth, as well as a new post for the UK forum!

http://www.mgmotor.co.uk/news-events/news/international-launch-of-all-new-mg/
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

Re: MG6 To be produced in the UK

Post by patpending on Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:38 am

I agree, it's such important news for Longbridge that it merits its own thread outside the "News from MG Motor" sticky.

This is what MG Motor says:

http://www.mgmotor.co.uk/news-events/news/international-launch-of-all-new-mg/

International launch of all new MG

MG
    Motor is proud to announce today, the international launch of the MG6, the first all new MG motor car since the launch of the MGF sports car. Guy Jones, Sales and Marketing Director for MG Motor UK said, “This is a milestone day for the iconic MG brand and for the UK automotive
    industry. MG has begun the international launch of an all new model that has been designed and engineered here in the UK, for the global automotive market. Currently we only build and sell the mid-engined TF sports car here in the UK, but we can now look forward to expanding the range of MG products.” The launch takes place at the Guangzhou Auto show in China and is the beginning of an exciting new global future for the MG brand. The launch in China, the world’s largest automotive market begins the international roll out of sales of MG6 which includes the UK. Sales in China will begin in January and plans for the UK and other markets will be released during 2010. It was also announced today that production of MG6 for the China market will begin at the brand new state of the art factory in Lingang, China in December 2009. It is also planned to commence production of MG6 at the Birmingham plant in the UK before the end of 2010. The world famous MG brand has never had such a bright future as it starts
    to expand global sales with an exciting new range of products.

About the MG6

The MG6 is a sporting five seat fastback model, designed to capture the character of the MG brand and bring something different to the volume market.

Specifications for the UK and European markets will be released at a later date.

MG Brand Corporate Identity

The MG6 proudly displays a new modernised version of the famous MG octagon
    badge for the first time. This new design is planned to carry forward on to all new MG models. This new branding features in the new corporate identity for the launch in China which also uses the Morris Garages naming. This reflects the pride in the history of the brand, the need to communicate this in new markets and is a clear differentiator for the MG brand.

Tickford

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2009-11-22

Post by Tickford on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:20 am

The car won't be produced at Longbridge but will have final touches made there. I hear that the car will arrive with all major components installed right down to headlights and final trim.
    I suppose putting the wheels on and filling with fuel may count, but I doubt it.
    I hope that Longbridge will be the centre for design and QC standards, this way at least the car will be part British.
    richardk

Number of posts : 935
    Registration date : 2009-02-06

Post by richardk on Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:51 am

Tickford wrote:The car won't be produced at Longbridge but will have final touches made there. I hear that the car will arrive with all major components installed right down to headlights and final trim.
    I suppose putting the wheels on and filling with fuel may count, but I doubt it.
    I hope that Longbridge will be the centre for design and QC standards, this way at least the car will be part British.

I'm reliably informed that yes in the first instance the MG6s will be assembled from an imported kit of parts but as time goes on this will change to more production using locally sourced parts. If the MG6 is a success then so will Longbridge.
    paynerover75

Number of posts : 31
    Registration date : 2009-10-28

Post by paynerover75 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:15 pm

richardk wrote:
    Tickford wrote:The car won't be produced at Longbridge but will have final touches made there. I hear that the car will arrive with all major components installed right down to headlights and final trim.

I'm reliably informed that yes in the first instance the MG6s will be assembled from an imported kit of parts but as time goes on this will change to more production using locally sourced parts. If the MG6 is a success then so will Longbridge.
    THATS EXACTLY HOW I SAW IT AS WELL
    richardk

Number of posts : 935
    Registration date : 2009-02-06

Post by richardk on Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:37 pm

paynerover75 wrote:THATS EXACTLY HOW I SAW IT AS WELL

Great minds think alike.

MG have been refurbishing the remaining lines there since closure - they didn't do that to just stick a badge on the bonnet
    And of course it won't just be the MG 6 either
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by Windy on Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:24 pm

richardk wrote:

Great minds think alike.

MG have been refurbishing the remaining lines there since closure...
    They must have had excessive refurbishment by now unless it is just one person doing all the work Cool
    Although doing it with a very small team over a long period does make sense as you retain the knowledge.

If they are to sell significant numbers in Europe then they need to build them here as they have spare capacity unlike China where they are all working flat out and still not meeting demand, China doesn't have the production capacity to produce the European cars.
    paynerover75

Post by paynerover75 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:29 pm

Windy wrote:
    richardk wrote:

Great minds think alike.

MG have been refurbishing the remaining lines there since closure...
    They must have had excessive refurbishment by now unless it is just one person doing all the work Cool
    Although doing it with a very small team over a long period does make sense as you retain the knowledge.

If they are to sell significant numbers in Europe then they need to build them here as they have spare capacity unlike China where they are all working flat out and still not meeting demand, China doesn't have the production capacity to produce the European cars.
    with more models to come thay will need all the capacity they can get. would certainly be cheaper than building a new factory.
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by Windy on Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:29 pm

They will still be building new production lines in China anyway - the plan is to double their Chinese sales next year, that means they need to make twice the number!
    patpending

Post by patpending on Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:24 pm

I was wondering what cars might be produced at Longbridge.

Interestingly enough, other than the TF, the MG7 (which IIRC was otherwise first at Pukou) seemed an obvious candidate but I'm sure we won't be seeing it back now.

Gary Hagen said "four or maybe even five models". That was before the credit crunch under different management while Mr. Hagen was actually at MG, however.

What models might those be, looking at it today?

TF (or replacement)
    MG6
    MG3?
    MG5?

plus SUV?
    paynerover75

Post by paynerover75 on Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:22 am

i came up with apossible explination as to why longbridge will not start production until after its gone on sale.
    as we know saic haven't decided on a diesel yet, bearing in mind they have access to vw and fiat diesel due tothier joint ventures it would be cheaper to shift the diesel through europe instaed of china, .
    the fact china doesn't do diesels led me to this possibility.
    all petrol engined mg6's and other models to come from china, all diesels for europe to be made at longbridge.
    just a little idaea of mine!!
    patpending

Post by patpending on Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:21 am

paynerover75 wrote:i came up with apossible explination as to why longbridge will not start production until after its gone on sale.
    of course, you mean "until the MG6 has gone on sale in China" as I can't see any logic in making RHD Sixes anywhere except Longbridge if that's where they're going to end up being made...

,,,to my mind the explanation is: launch on the home Chinese market first 1) which is doing far better than the UK one anyway and 2) where SAIC with high market share are having problems keeping up with demand!

then launch the RHD variant (different spec, different regs) not in parallel to reduce risk.

Given that, nowadays, the only Powertrain you'll see round Longbridge is the diesel technology of a Virgin Voyager (probably)* I can't imagine SAIC taking on the risk of making low volumes of diesel engines! they'd have to lease a retail park back off St Modwen to do that... Wink

* I had thought it must be Italian but apparently the engines are Cummins. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_220 One way or the other, hasn't the factory at Washwood Heath closed down? don't tell me, that was Metro-Cammell and the 220 is Bombardier, Litchurch Lane. I am not going to check on www.train.spottingworld.com - I have my pride!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:25 pm