Disappearing Dealers

patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

Re: Disappearing Dealers

Post by patpending on Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:24 am

Looks like there are sales departments in both locations, but that the MG sales are in Budleigh Salterton.

As an aside, the OTR sticker price of £20,390 for a Magnette TSE looks more expensive than expected. VED? Isn't that paid for under 5-4-3-2-1? Petrol??

http://www.staddons.co.uk/new-vehicles/mg/mg6/new-mg6-magnette-in-our-showrooms-now-/prod_518.html

I also note that there are at least three categories of "MG" in the lists, which is most confusing.

Dorset Rocket

Number of posts : 134
    Registration date : 2011-05-20

Post by Dorset Rocket on Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:57 pm

Their site in Budleigh was the recorded address in MGR days and has the chrome on white lettering of MGR dealers. The site in Exmouth has had the old Rover purple and gold signage since the mid 80's which they finally and rather bizarly painted over in red about a year ago and when I saw them they said this was 'temporary' before the new MG signs arrived...As they have never appeared I was wondering about their commitment as a main dealer.

They have also seem to do their own thing on offers and recently put the price up on a unregistered TF they have had for about 18 months. Afraid I still think it all points to them moving out of the new MG dealer sales fold if only until the arrival of the 3 and 5 can justify them investing the the signs and red theme showroom..
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by Windy on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:09 pm

Dorset Rocket wrote:recently put the price up on a unregistered TF they have had for about 18 months.
    I can remember them having a very basic City Rover priced at something like £6900 - a year after MGR had gone bust! Presumably they do make a decent profit but only on a very occasional sale, unless some people are able to negotiate the prices down.
    patpending

Post by patpending on Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:45 pm

Prices in Devon seem pretty high. I once had a dealer turn up on my doorstep from S of Exeter who offered me a private sale price for my car!
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy on Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:57 pm

patpending wrote:Looks like there are sales departments in both locations, but that the MG sales are in Budleigh Salterton.
    Passed by today, outside the sign said Rover with a viking longship above, inside was mix of brown on cream MG logos and new silver on red along with a lot of union flags from the jubilee celibrations. Showroom was full of MGs, outside there were no MGs or Rovers.

It doesn't exactly look like a modern MG dealership, confirmed when I walked passed the shed labled "crash repairs" and saw someone using carpentry tools! Even in the Rover Group era there was not much genuine wood in the cars!

I think to sell these modern cars in real numbers you need a modern dealership near a city centre but at the moment that is just not possible as the one model of MG available can not possibly be expected to for pay the rent and business taxes on its own. Of course it's possible that MG have a long list of dealers ready and waiting to set up such dealerships as soon as there is a decent model range available - MG3, MG5, MG6 and MG Icon.

Dorset Rocket

Post by Dorset Rocket on Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:10 pm

Yes, it would be interesting to know if the 'dealers' currently only listed on the MG website as 'aftersales only' (and not with separate sales locations) have the option of moving back to a full sales outlet when they are prepared/able/willing to invest in the appropriate signage and sign new contracts etc.

Alot seem to move to aftersales having given up being a full dealer and then dissappear altogether after a while, but if some are prepared to (or have agreed to) move back to an official sales outlet when the other models arrive then perhaps MG have the makings of a bigger network than we realise..
    patpending

Post by patpending on Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:33 pm

Dorset Rocket wrote:perhaps MG have the makings of a bigger network than we realise..
    Wonder what they said at the dealer recruitment day last month?

They often mention a target of some 80.

(Jan 2011)
    MG Motor UK is expanding its dealer network

The carmaker, a subsidiary of SAIC, China’s largest carmaker, has identified 45 key open points in Britain and is talking with 25 prospective dealers.

It currently has 38 dealers and six authorised repairers

http://www.motortrader.com/latest-news/mg-motor-uk-expands-uk-dealer-network/

Dorset Rocket

Post by Dorset Rocket on Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:35 am

There were some bold targets before the MG6 was launched, but we are now 18 months down the road since that Motor trader article and the MG site is listing 35 sales and sales/service dealers and 6 aftersales only so not quite what they planned. All taking alot longer than they thought..
    patpending

Post by patpending on Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:57 am

Dorset Rocket wrote:There were some bold targets before the MG6 was launched, but we are now 18 months down the road since that Motor trader article and the MG site is listing 35 sales and sales/service dealers and 6 aftersales only so not quite what they planned. All taking alot longer than they thought..
    I agree. I think back to the relaunch of the TF right into the credit crunch. Times are difficult. At least SAIC is in the Top 15 world manufacturers by profit (unlike Peugeot)... does plan B involve more sprats now to catch mackerel later?

And what about selling MG6s into the eurozone? Not till 2014 now, but it will not be a new car then, and who will buy it, from where, and what will they pay for it with?

Dorset Rocket

Post by Dorset Rocket on Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:38 am

Some good news at last - dealer numbers now up to 36 with the addition of MG specilist Brown and Gammons as a full new MG dealer from June 2012.

Dorset Rocket

Post by Dorset Rocket on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:46 am

Went to my 'local' dealer today, Lynx Garage in Yeovil, only to find I was already too late - no MG's on site or in the showroom and a salesman telling me they had stopped last week as the cars simply wernt selling. All a bit sad given they only started with MG last November.

MG now have no official sales outlets in the whole of the south west and dont just have a network to build, but from my converstaions today, and with the dealer in Plymouth who gave up last month, they also now have a huge task to build criedibilty with the trade.

I desparately want things to work out for MG, but until new models arrive, the next few months will be critical..
    richardk

Number of posts : 935
    Registration date : 2009-02-06

Post by richardk on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:32 pm

Shame another yet one has gone. There may be more in the wings who will only start once the 3 and 5 are out. oy to side with any potential dealer wary of signing up at the moment. The return on the showroom floorspace would be non existant.
    patpending

Post by patpending on Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:48 am

Per interviews with Auto Express, the 3 and the 5 should have joined the MG6 Diesel in a year's time. I see Guy Jones quoted that he wants 100 dealers over the next three to four years.

Hard to imagine jumping now when the existing network is selling about half a car a month each...?
    patpending

Post by patpending on Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:56 am

Motor Trader shows a rare photo of William Wang with the MG3.

MG is planning to triple its UK dealer network as the Longbridge-based brand prepares to launch a range of new products led by a new entry model.

The carmaker, owned by Shanghai based SAIC Motors, plans to increase its 40 strong network to 50 sites by the end of the year and up to 150 sites to give it the geographical spread it needs to sell 10,000 cars by 2015.

http://www.motortrader.com/industry-news/mg-plans-triple-uk-dealer-network/

Full article here, including MG3 launch July-September (William Wang) (thanks preetoo)...

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/54732366#/54732366/26

If MG are expecting sales of 2000 for the year, they are planning on selling hundreds of diesel MG6s. To Avis?

Dorset Rocket

Post by Dorset Rocket on Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:30 am

Had an interesting chat with a dealer today. They returned all their three MG6 showroom stock to MG in July because of problems customers were having with the handbrake (catching their thumbs!) and the key fob which apparently can break in half while in the ignition as people dont seem to understand how it works (?!) and are waiting for the issues to be fixed.

The good news though, is that the dealer described the support they had had from MG as excellent and so rather than give up on MG sales, they are going to wait till the problems are fixed (hopefully when the diesel is lauched) then they will re stock and start to sell the cars agian (particularly the MG3 which they thought was going to be a winner), so all their MG signs remain in place and they are still on the website..

Luckily this dealer has two other brands to represnt in the meantime, but it does throw some light on what seems to be a bit of a 'phoney war' as we all wait for MG to get their act together..
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy on Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:18 pm

Dorset Rocket wrote: the handbrake (catching their thumbs!) and the key fob which apparently can break in half while in the ignition as people dont seem to understand how it works (?!)
    The same handbrake and key as used on a quarter of a million other cars ... maybe the British are stronger than the Chinese scratch

I guess the new ones will have the E-brake instead of the handbrake so that problem will be gone...

Dorset Rocket

Post by Dorset Rocket on Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:05 am

Maybe those of us in the west have bigger hands! Would be interesting to know if the New Zealand dealers are having the same issues as they are also right hand drive..
    littlechicken

Number of posts : 74
    Registration date : 2010-12-21

Post by littlechicken on Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:29 am

Had to have a little giggle when I read this ! After 9 months ownership, I have never had a problem with the handbrake or the key.

Can only assume the dealer has various WWE wrestlers as customers?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:00 am