MG arrives in the East - Cambridge MG

    Share
    avatar
    Windy
    Admin

    Number of posts : 3322
    Points : 4244
    Reputation : 165
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

    MG arrives in the East - Cambridge MG

    Post by Windy on Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:38 am

    Some strong words in this one bom

    Welcome, Cambridge MG



    The MG6 GT

    With the MG6 now on sale at Cambridge MG in Harston, a new chapter in the story of motoring in the UK has begun, writes Mike Scialom.

    But first, let’s say cheerio to the past properly.

    The last car I tested from the MG Rover stable, as it was then, was the CityRover, which was launched ten years ago.

    It was a perfectly acceptable little runaround (albeit a Tata rebrand) but by then MG Rover was a front – making cars was nominally its business, but it had become a carcass on which the appetites of union activists and management both feasted, augmented over decades by handouts from Honda, BMW, British Aerospace and various UK governments. The firm died the death of 1,000 cuts. A cadre of good men – the production force – had become colonised by unions and the marque was eventually taken over by a bunch called the Phoenix consortium, a quintet of self-serving suits who fed remorselessly at the firm’s financial trough before disappearing from view with £42m payout arrangements intact. The unions had to abandon the moral high ground – a fact not lost on future generations – and the nod that was given to the corporatocracy set in motion the subsequent legalised looting of GB plc. The era of Britain’s industrial power, the pride of an empire that once spanned the globe, gave way to docile factory-intensive workers who worked for a far-off power which decided their futures with little or no discussion.

    MG Rover wrote the last chapter on “discussion” in the industrial era and, dear reader, I promise I will never mention the old firm in rage or despair again.

    In 2005 Chinese firm Nanjing Automobile Group bought the MG legacy and production restarted in 2007 in a bid to ensure the badge continues to grace the region’s roads.

    The new brand promises good-value motoring with sound production values and, to test out how much progress has been made, I accepted an invitation to drive the MG6 GT, the firm’s newest model and one which boasts an all-new 1.9-litre diesel (the petrol unit in the MG6 is based on the now-ancient Rover K Series powerplant).

    So first things first: after all the ghastliness, it’s great to see the “MG” badge again. And the fact that Buckingham & Stanley is the force behind Harston-based Cambridge MG is good news too; this much-respected local firm has always had an excellent reputation with customers for both new and used vehicles.

    As you can see from the photos, the MG6 looks pretty damn fine and definitely brings something to the party in terms of combining a bit of grace with a touch of pizzazz. The car’s undeniably good looks are based on some very graceful sweeping lines from front to back and what you see on the outside is reflected in the cabin as well. The seats, for starters, are unexpectedly snug. All the controls and gadgetry are well laid out and easy to work with. The only thing that looks different is the handbrake, which is a sort of vertical-lift affair that you get used to pretty quickly. Otherwise the interior would be vaguely familiar to a Mondeo or Insignia driver and it’s all nicely bolted together too.

    The five-door fastback GT SE shown here boasts MG’s 1.9-litre DTi-TECH diesel and it’s a very successful first outing with 158 horses shoving it along, a 0-60 of 8.4 seconds and CO2 emissions of 139g/km. It’s pretty eager to get going, shall we say, and the six-speed ’box is cute enough. The extra features for the GT SE include rear parking aid, multifunction steering wheel, sat-nav, radio, RDS, CD, MP3 and USB. The trip computer recorded 40+mpg for mostly-city driving, which is perfectly respectable. The car performs very well on the motorway: I didn’t like the restricted view from the rear window but this is a design feature that’s becoming increasingly de rigeur (check the Evoque for where this is all heading!) and the compensation of a cavernous boot makes up for it I guess.

    At £18,195 this car is up against some serious opposition, including the 2-litre Octavia, but bear in mind the entry level option is £16,995 and you’ll surely agree that the new MG6 is interestingly placed. It’s slightly more expensive than Korean equivalents but cheaper than European options. There’s no doubt that this is a solid start from the Chinese firm, and there’s no doubt that the firm isn’t in a hurry. Nanjing makes more than four million cars a year and this is merely a dipping-the-toe-into-the-water exercise. The firm’s designers will take on board criticisms and suggestions and adapt its future designs accordingly.

    This is a firm happy to play for time, so please take on board the fact that the MG brand has a serious agenda and, with the MG6 diesel, is showing itself to be very capable of producing a car that has merit and adds choice to the saloon sector.
    Source: http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Drive/Welcome-Cambridge-MG-15032013.htm
    avatar
    ZTsteve

    Number of posts : 111
    Points : 100
    Reputation : 6
    Registration date : 2009-02-19
    Location : Sussex

    Re: MG arrives in the East - Cambridge MG

    Post by ZTsteve on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:26 am

    Considering he seems well versed in the history of MGR, it's surprising he doesn't seem to have heard of SAIC!
    avatar
    patpending

    Number of posts : 3005
    Points : 3948
    Reputation : 53
    Registration date : 2009-02-05
    Location : Surrey

    Re: MG arrives in the East - Cambridge MG

    Post by patpending on Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:06 pm

    Is this from a newspaper? It attacks management and unions - and the Chinese - simultaneously and uses the sort of meaningless fashionable jargon we generally see where the author has no real point to make. It would put me off trying one!
    avatar
    Windy
    Admin

    Number of posts : 3322
    Points : 4244
    Reputation : 165
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

    Re: MG arrives in the East - Cambridge MG

    Post by Windy on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:30 am

    patpending wrote:Is this from a newspaper? It attacks management and unions - and the Chinese - simultaneously and uses the sort of meaningless fashionable jargon we generally see where the author has no real point to make. It would put me off trying one!
    I don't really see any attack on the Chinese in there and he is quite complementary about the car, even describes it as "very successful". The "attack" on management and unions is more a documentary on the end of an era of UK industry, maybe one he was involved in and which most potential purchasers of the MG6 have little knowledge of.

    It's not a good history of MG, or a good introduction to the current ownership but it is actually quite informative for the potential buyer about the car and company - "This is a firm happy to play for time, so please take on board the fact that the MG brand has a serious agenda...", for someone who has no knowledge of current MG it's not a bad introduction.

    Of course he is wrong and clearly has little knowledge of what has happend over the last decade; the company isn't playing for time at all, it has no need to, as a profitable company it is simply taking it's time to develop a solid, sustainable business.
    avatar
    patpending

    Number of posts : 3005
    Points : 3948
    Reputation : 53
    Registration date : 2009-02-05
    Location : Surrey

    Re: MG arrives in the East - Cambridge MG

    Post by patpending on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:59 am

    Windy wrote:
    patpending wrote:Is this from a newspaper? It attacks management and unions - and the Chinese - simultaneously and uses the sort of meaningless fashionable jargon we generally see where the author has no real point to make. It would put me off trying one!
    I don't really see any attack on the Chinese in there and he is quite complementary about the car, even describes it as "very successful". The "attack" on management and unions is more a documentary on the end of an era of UK industry, maybe one he was involved in and which most potential purchasers of the MG6 have little knowledge of.

    It's not a good history of MG, or a good introduction to the current ownership but it is actually quite informative for the potential buyer about the car and company - "This is a firm happy to play for time, so please take on board the fact that the MG brand has a serious agenda...", for someone who has no knowledge of current MG it's not a bad introduction.

    Of course he is wrong and clearly has little knowledge of what has happend over the last decade; the company isn't playing for time at all, it has no need to, as a profitable company it is simply taking it's time to develop a solid, sustainable business.
    Well, if the cars column in my local newspaper was written like that, I might take notice. Generally, however, these columns are bland/positive so that the local dealer can advertise next to them. It's the tone that worries me - could be seen as having a pop at lots of people... which is why I thought it wasn't a newspaper...
    avatar
    Windy
    Admin

    Number of posts : 3322
    Points : 4244
    Reputation : 165
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

    Re: MG arrives in the East - Cambridge MG

    Post by Windy on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:15 am

    patpending wrote:...Generally, however, these columns are bland/positive so that the local dealer can advertise next to them. It's the tone that worries me - could be seen as having a pop at lots of people... which is why I thought it wasn't a newspaper...
    It does appear to be a newspaper, and I think it is supposed to be bland/positive. I suspect the problems with unions are so far into history now that people no longer consider them to be real live people. Even the P4 have vanished from the press, although investigations and court cases into MG-Rover continue to this day:


    Deloitte and FRC fire opening salvoes in MG Rover tribunal


    12 Mar 2013: AN EPIC BATTLE has erupted between the profession's watchdog and Deloitte over the Big Four firm's role in advising the owners of MG Rover...

    Read more: http://www.accountancyage.com/aa/analysis/2254145/deloitte-and-frc-fire-opening-salvoes-in-mg-rover-trbunal#ixzz2Nsh2x94C
    Accountancy Age - Finance, business and accountancy news, features and resources. Claim your free subscription today.

    Sponsored content

    Re: MG arrives in the East - Cambridge MG

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:09 pm