Heard it on the grapevine.

adaveabbott

Number of posts : 190
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

Heard it on the grapevine.

Post by adaveabbott on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:12 am

I hear that the the MG5 sports edition, will make its debut on Saturday the 20th.

Spec will be 1.5 litre 135 bhp engine mated to a 6 speed DSG gear box.

It will be quite a looker by all accounts. Very Happy Very Happy

snifferdog1

Number of posts : 240
    Registration date : 2012-12-05

Re: Heard it on the grapevine.

Post by snifferdog1 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:59 am

Yeah i saw a sneak peek on the ilovemg facebook page.

It had red stripes over the top and looked really good.

MG have also put out this teaser shot of the UK spec MG3 - I think its gonna look good!

Morris Motors

Number of posts : 446
    Registration date : 2012-08-10

Post by Morris Motors on Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:01 am

Really? UK model MG5..? I'd heard other rumours that it wasn't coming to the UK at all.

snifferdog1

Post by snifferdog1 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:11 am

No I think its still a Chinese model - just the first showing of the 1.5 turbo sport model.
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

Post by patpending on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:51 pm

adaveabbott wrote:
    I hear that the the MG5 sports edition, will make its debut on Saturday the 20th.

Spec will be 1.5 litre 135 bhp engine mated to a 6 speed DSG gear box.

It will be quite a looker by all accounts. Very Happy Very Happy

Morris Motors wrote:Really? UK model MG5..? I'd heard other rumours that it wasn't coming to the UK at all.

Not for the moment, at least - this is Chinese news, should we move it?
    garlum

Number of posts : 26
    Registration date : 2012-04-23

Post by garlum on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:17 pm

snifferdog1 wrote:Yeah i saw a sneak peek on the ilovemg facebook page.

It had red stripes over the top and looked really good.

MG have also put out this teaser shot of the UK spec MG3 - I think its gonna look good!

Looks like MG3 facelift:

Roverman

Number of posts : 203
    Registration date : 2010-02-12

Post by Roverman on Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:56 am

Morris Motors wrote:Really? UK model MG5..? I'd heard other rumours that it wasn't coming to the UK at all.

You heard wrong my friend, testing of the 5 is already underway on UK roads.

Morris Motors

Post by Morris Motors on Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:33 pm

I hope you're right but I've seen no spy shots and there are rumours to the contrary...

Roverman

Number of posts : 203
    Registration date : 2010-02-12

Post by Roverman on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:48 pm

Why would they not release it though is the question?

Unless they are going to wait until 2015 when the MG6 is stretched, facelifted and becomes the MG7?

snifferdog1

Post by snifferdog1 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:34 pm

To be fair, the rumours seem to be gaining some momentum.

Ive heard that MG would rather put their efforts into the SUV.

Morris Motors

Post by Morris Motors on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:46 am

If the 5 hasn't exactly set the world alight in China, maybe its actually a dud?

Is the 6 going to be that radically facelifted - stretched means effectively a rebody. It certainly needs more options.
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by Windy on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:37 am

Morris Motors wrote:If the 5 hasn't exactly set the world alight in China, maybe its actually a dud?

The 350 which is not much different to the MG5 is the best selling MG/Roewe with very nearly quarter of a million of them on the roads, there is nothing much wrong with the car or engine.

Morris Motors

Post by Morris Motors on Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:23 am

This article would seem to be the first seeds of doubt from MG themselves: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/shanghai-auto-show/new-mg-cs-concept-suv-shanghai-motor-show-2013

The last paragraph seems to pour cold water on the MG5 - if the MGCS has priority but is still 2 years away, then the 5 is 3 or 4 years away = it can't be happening.
    patpending

Post by patpending on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:25 pm

snifferdog1 wrote:To be fair, the rumours seem to be gaining some momentum.

Ive heard that MG would rather put their efforts into the SUV.
    to be fair, look at what happens on the news when they report that someone should resign every hour and then report "pressure is growing for them to resign".

Unless the rumour is on headed notepaper, signed, and confirmed, I'd presume it's the same one coming back. Verbal rumours aren't worth the paper they're written on.

However, the idea of an SUV being the next car has been around for months as above.
    garlum

Number of posts : 26
    Registration date : 2012-04-23

Post by garlum on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:42 pm

A small car, medium car and a SUV would make a good lineup in today's market. The 6 can straddle Focus and Mondeo markets price and size respectively, so maybe MG are thinking the 5 isn't worth bringing online to compete with one of their own models and so to spend scant resources on something in a different category altogether. Makes sense from a business perspective especially with the time and effort it's taken to get the 3 to market. For me the 5 as-is is a mixed bag, aggressive front nose and the rest very tame. I've always like the 3 for being a quirky little hatch, the 6 for being a smart swoop backed practical car and the CS SUV makes me actually want an SUV which is saying something. So if the 5 is left out of the UK equation for now I wouldn't hold it against MG UK for making that decision.
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:40 am

Morris Motors wrote:This article would seem to be the first seeds of doubt from MG themselves: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/shanghai-auto-show/new-mg-cs-concept-suv-shanghai-motor-show-2013

The last paragraph seems to pour cold water on the MG5 - if the MGCS has priority but is still 2 years away, then the 5 is 3 or 4 years away = it can't be happening.
    The reason could be down to the engines. They appear to be introducing the MG3 to UK/Europe with just the 1.5 and no turbo which makes it a bit slow for an MG but maybe acceptable as a small car. The MG5 with just the 1.5 will be even slower, being a bigger car it needs at least the option of a bigger engine but if they can't get the 1.5 turbo to euro spec then there is a problem. The MG CS can be introduced to Europe with just the 2L NLE engine and maybe the option of a 2L Turbo NLE and since the euro spec 2L NLE will be available a year before the euro spec SGE the MG CS can be launched in Europe a year before the MG5.

Morris Motors

Post by Morris Motors on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:18 am

Possibly - they need to be getting more engine options ready for the UK/Europe - I don't really understand why they don't design these things to the strictest standards in the first place, then it would be a matter of just getting type-approval for other markets rather than having to re-engineer the things all over again.

I did think Guy Jones' choice of words odd: "We continue to evaluate the MG5, and it is an interesting car in an interesting segment, but no decisions have been made yet" - he refers to it as if it's something new that someone is trying to convince him to buy in - it was designed in Longbridge! Definitely distancing themselves from it in my eyes.
    patpending

Post by patpending on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:10 am

Morris Motors wrote:I did think Guy Jones' choice of words odd: "We continue to evaluate the MG5, and it is an interesting car in an interesting segment, but no decisions have been made yet" - he refers to it as if it's something new that someone is trying to convince him to buy in - it was designed in Longbridge! Definitely distancing themselves from it in my eyes.
    I agree, he's whipping up no expectations there.

Is this another job for red shoes woman? Wink

Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:44 am

Morris Motors wrote:Possibly - they need to be getting more engine options ready for the UK/Europe - I don't really understand why they don't design these things to the strictest standards in the first place, then it would be a matter of just getting type-approval for other markets rather than having to re-engineer the things all over again.

I did think Guy Jones' choice of words odd: "We continue to evaluate the MG5, and it is an interesting car in an interesting segment, but no decisions have been made yet" - he refers to it as if it's something new that someone is trying to convince him to buy in - it was designed in Longbridge! Definitely distancing themselves from it in my eyes.
    Well I think the Diesel and SGE are being developed specifically for Europe and I think the NLE will be euro spec from the start. The initial NSE was for China and was going to be developed further for Europe but the SGE looks to be taking over in Europe as soon as it's ready and it is that change of plan which has delayed euro plans.

Although the MG5 was designed in Longbridge, it was designed by SMTC. Guy Jones works for MG Motor UK not SMTC and so he is indeed in the position of deciding to buy it or not and on putting it into Longbridge assembly or not. He has to justify his decisions on the basis that that the MG6 is currently selling well in the UK - so he has a problem!
    littlechicken

Number of posts : 74
    Registration date : 2010-12-21

Post by littlechicken on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:21 am

Went I went in Feb they had a purple and a grey MG5 at Longbridge.

Sales in China have not been great, so perhaps this is the reason why.

Guy Jones has basically said they will concentrate bringing the SUV,rather than another saloon that is close in size to the MG6.

Dorset Rocket

Number of posts : 134
    Registration date : 2011-05-20

Post by Dorset Rocket on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:37 pm

Maybe it is the reason that some old big name MG dealers (Summit, Luffield and Jaybee etc.) have dropped out of sales recently as they now know that only the 3 and 6 will be available in the UK until at least 2015. I read somewhere months ago that MG were asking dealers weather they wanted the 5 hatch or an SUV and I think we now have the answer, although I do hope they can get the 1.5 Turbo MG3 to the UK as that has the potential to be a good halo model for them while we wait for the CS.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:01 pm