MG6 upgrade

adaveabbott

Number of posts : 190
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

MG6 upgrade

Post by adaveabbott on Mon May 06, 2013 9:06 am

I hope the MG6 petrol models get a facelift with the 6 speed box. It could be added in time for the launch of the MG3.

Also it is time to up the anti and add auto boxes to both models. After all,

it is two years since the launch of the MG6. More engine choices would'nt go amiss either. Smile

Roverman

Number of posts : 203
    Registration date : 2010-02-12

Re: MG6 upgrade

Post by Roverman on Mon May 06, 2013 11:54 am

There is already a 6 speed box (in the diesel)

I would expect the 6 to receive the upgrades the facelift Roewe 550 has just received

Electronic parking brake
    Start stop technology
    6 speed DSG box

The new 550 (petrol) is apparently 15% more fuel efficient and has lower emissions.

Morris Motors

Number of posts : 446
    Registration date : 2012-08-10

Post by Morris Motors on Mon May 06, 2013 12:30 pm

They need to co-ordinate upgrades for all markets. After all, they are basically coming from the same plants in China so any upgrades should hit the MG6 and also UK cars too.
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by Windy on Mon May 06, 2013 2:46 pm

I guess we will have to wait for the NLE engine to arrive, which I think will be next years Shanghai show.

snifferdog1

Number of posts : 240
    Registration date : 2012-12-05

Post by snifferdog1 on Mon May 06, 2013 5:54 pm

Which one is the NLE sorry? Is it the 2.0 petrol turbo? I get a bit confused with all of the new engines that get mentioned around here! What bhp do we expect from that?
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy on Tue May 07, 2013 12:21 am

snifferdog1 wrote:Which one is the NLE sorry? Is it the 2.0 petrol turbo? I get a bit confused with all of the new engines that get mentioned around here! What bhp do we expect from that?
    Well the first New Large Engine (NLE) is expected to be a 2.0L petrol direct injection turbo but it includes a range of sizes up to about a 3.6L V6 direct injection petrol turbo which is reported to have power equivalent to a V8. There is no information on bhp, I think mainly because of current emissions regulations, they are having difficulty giving us an accurate figure for the UK MG3 and that car and engine is already in production in non-euro spec!

Morris Motors

Post by Morris Motors on Tue May 07, 2013 7:21 am

Any chance of these things driving a RWD car....? Silly question I guess.

Also, are any of these derived from MGR-era developments?
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy on Tue May 07, 2013 7:54 am

Morris Motors wrote:Any chance of these things driving a RWD car....? Silly question I guess.

Also, are any of these derived from MGR-era developments?
    Maybe the new sports car, presumably it will be rear wheel drive and I'm guessing it will be bigger than the TF so a 2L Turbo might be fitted.

I think the NLE and NSE are both purely SAIC/NAC projects, ex-MGR staff have worked on them so knowledge will have been carried over but I don't think MGR ever got around to looking at petrol direct injection. SAIC are making the NLE, NAC produce the NSE. Then there is the SGE which is a cooperation with General Motors.

Morris Motors

Post by Morris Motors on Tue May 07, 2013 8:55 am

I actually think any new sports car could come off the CS platform - 4x4 would shale up the market a bit and enable them to use a 'standard' transverse layout. Possibly.
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy on Tue May 07, 2013 9:51 am

Morris Motors wrote:I actually think any new sports car could come off the CS platform - 4x4 would shale up the market a bit and enable them to use a 'standard' transverse layout. Possibly.
    That would be quite some spec. for a sports car!!!

4 corner independent air suspension with terrain response and 0-60 in around 7 seconds etc...

Morris Motors

Post by Morris Motors on Tue May 07, 2013 2:30 pm

Air suspension?

I've always thought it would be an idea. MG only made sports cars out of what was on the shelf, and for years that was RWD. Then when BMC went FWD, so for cost reasons MG proposed the MGD which was RWD but using the Maxi's E-series engine and gearbox mounted transversely, with Hydrloastic suspension. The validity of that was proven with the MGF 25 years later.

MG have never made an FWD open top. BMC toyed with a Mini derivative but bottled it - I think they'd still be derided if they tried so they can either do a new generation MGF/TF layout, bite the bullet and go transverse FWD or use an AWD layout off the shelf. It's what MG sports cars have always been about - taking the best components from the parts bin and making something special. MG would probably have done it earlier if Nuffield/BMC had made SUVs...
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy on Tue May 07, 2013 2:59 pm

Not really the recipe for a great handling lightweight efficient sports car though. I can't see why they can't make a FWD open top these days when few people have ever driven a RWD car, in fact they could make it a selling point!

Morris Motors

Post by Morris Motors on Wed May 08, 2013 1:55 am

Didn't the Lotus Elan flop?

Surely AWD would be great fun?! Think of the Icon, minus the roof, dropped to a conventional ride height. Lovely. A modern Jensen FF!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:36 am