MG5 Cancelled?

Roverman

Number of posts : 203
    Registration date : 2010-02-12

MG5 Cancelled?

Post by Roverman on Fri May 10, 2013 12:53 pm

Why would they cancel the 5 from entering the UK market?

I can only assume that from the extremely poor sales in the UK so far that SAIC don't think it's worth it?

If that is the case we will be left with just the 6 and the 3 to try and keep MG afloat for some considerable time to come.

snifferdog1

Number of posts : 240
    Registration date : 2012-12-05

Re: MG5 Cancelled?

Post by snifferdog1 on Fri May 10, 2013 11:43 pm

I heard that it was so they can concentrate on the CS.

It would me a missed opportunity if we don't get it, although I think it already is a missed opportunity as it already looks dated and the timescale it would take to get it UK ready would be pointless.
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by Windy on Sat May 11, 2013 1:26 am

Roverman wrote:Why would they cancel the 5 from entering the UK market?

I can only assume that from the extremely poor sales in the UK so far that SAIC don't think it's worth it?
    The poor sales of the MG6 obviously don't help with making a case for the MG5 but I think the big problem is the engines. The 1.5 NSE is simply not powerful enough for an MG the weight of the MG5, it would be like bringing out the MG ZS with only the 1.4L engine, the smallest engined ZS in the UK was the 1.6, the 1.4 only being sold in the Irish Republic. Maybe they could have brought us the turbo 1.5 but I suspect that would still require work to get it to euro spec and still would not be very good on CO2. The MG5 needs to wait for the SGE to be available, or maybe launch with just the 2L NLE engine. The SGE engine would not make it to the UK until mid 2015, and launching with only a 205 bhp version would probably not make good sales? Does it make sense to launch the MG5 in the UK in mid 2015? Well it will be due an update shortly after so the answer is no, better to wait for the new MG5 in 2016 by which time a full range of eco-friendly direct injection engines from 1.1L to 3.2L V6 will be available. I suspect the relatively low sales of the MG5 in China may also have played a part, some months it is selling a tenth of what the MG3 does, I don't understand why but if the same happened in the UK then it would no doubt be a failure.

The CS when it arrives in the UK will be a new model with new eco-friendly engines with a long life ahead of it, yes it does make a lot more sense to concentrate on that instead. Also the MG3 is not a small car, many ZS owners will be happy to switch to the MG3 when they need a replacement, although I have my doubts about the suspension making it to MG ZS standard which is maybe another reason to wait for a new MG5 since the current one shares the MG3s suspension design.

Roverman wrote:If that is the case we will be left with just the 6 and the 3 to try and keep MG afloat for some considerable time to come.
    They have only dipped their finger in the water so far, not even put a toe in, there is no worry about keeping MG afloat! Remember SAIC is planning to sell 5 million cars this year.

I don't think we should expect big UK sales from the MG3 either since it will only be available with the 1.5 engine, the equivalent of a 1.4 MG ZR with poor CO2 by todays standards, the MG3 might also need to wait for the new SGE before it becomes a serious contender so I won't be expecting a massive advertising campaign this summer.

I wonder if the MG6 will do much better when it has a 200+ bhp NLE fitted?

Morris Motors

Number of posts : 446
    Registration date : 2012-08-10

Post by Morris Motors on Sat May 11, 2013 3:35 am

They did state on twitter that there would be TV advertising accompanying the MG3. Mind you, until there are dealers to buy them from it's all rather academic!

As for the MG5 - it isn't really selling well in China is it? They may be planning to sell 5m cars but they are the JV cars surely; the whole MG range needs better, more varied and cleaner engines to compete properly in Europe.

Roverman

Number of posts : 203
    Registration date : 2010-02-12

Post by Roverman on Sat May 11, 2013 3:40 am

I agree about the engines being the sticking problem, imagine the Astra or Focus being only available with a 1.5 petrol.
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by Windy on Sat May 11, 2013 4:07 am

Morris Motors wrote:They may be planning to sell 5m cars but they are the JV cars surely; the whole MG range needs better, more varied and cleaner engines to compete properly in Europe.
    They will sell 5 million vehicles this year, apparently only 60% from joint ventures!

Unfortunately good engines take time and lots and lots of testing, bodies can be designed and tested on computer these days but a reliable engine has to have years of real testing. Then if there are problems they work out very expensive on both money and reputation which I imagine is why GM is putting the SGE in the Adam a year before SAIC dare to use it - GM can afford a few recalls and it's reputation wont be affected as much. However the factories for both the NLE and SGE in Shanghai are now well under way and once available releasing new cars will be a lot easier. Remember that both these new engines along with the diesel and their new factories are essentially for Euro sales and not required for China, a huge investment by MG almost purely for European sales.

Morris Motors

Number of posts : 446
    Registration date : 2012-08-10

Post by Morris Motors on Sat May 11, 2013 8:26 am

But that implies two engine programmes - surely they would be better off making all engines euro-compliant and China benefit from that?

If the same engine is to appear in Vaunxhalls, could MG end up sharing dealer facilities with them?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:15 pm